Thursday, October 4, 2012

This I believe Part 2

It took me a few tries, but I found a "this I believe" speech that I could not connect to. I listened to the "God is in her hands" essay by a preacher in St. Louis. I stereotype preachers as great speakers so I had high hopes for it. I was sadly disappointed. He was not a bad talker, his pronunciation and rhetoric was very good and had a soothing tone. His message was not that great though. It has nothing to do with my religious views. I just thought his word choice was to repetitive and his message had little support. He kept talking about a class he taught where he said prove to me that your hands are real. This where he said he saw god. Then, he made an uncomfortable amount of references to his wife and his hands. It was a bit awkward sounding. He also continues to repeat his hands and how that's how he knew god was here. I had trouble picking up the connection between the two. I also was lacking a story to really prove why he believed this. It  was mostly him repeating what he could do with his hands to see god. This is a good way of driving a point when you are preaching, but did not work well for me here. I just could not get on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment