Tuesday, October 2, 2012

This I believe "The Presumption of Decency"

I connected to this essay, but I feel he is a little to harsh on people for unnecessary actions. I agree with his claim. He says we all become infuriated at random people for little things and assume they are the worst people ever when we do not give them a chance. He gives the example of the cab driver going to slow. He gets back at him by giving him a less than intended tip. Then, he continues his day by ill talking the driver and everything about anything relating to him. All for taking his time, or maybe for a reason he does not even know. It is similar for maybe a waitress who makes us a bit irritated. His claim is that we need to make a point of remembering most people are decent. People are not always like that. I agree. I think people hate complete strangers for unimportant reasons. Maybe like, causing a slight inconvience or just slowing down our day more than expecting or even just doing something that annoys us, but they don't know that. I have become aware of this. I do not let people make me mad for things when I don't even know their lives.  It's just common human courtesy to think past ourselves. There are worse people to get mad at. On the other hand, I do not agree with his claim that people naturally hate for everything. I can see him saying that people naturally become very angry over minuscule things that do not really matter, but not hate. I have a different definition of hate then him, and this may be why he wrote this. I believe hate is reserved for those who have done things to us that we could not see doing to others. We can hate someone like Hitler or the Joker, but, I believe, we can't  just through hate upon any person for doing something to inconvience us who we will never see again and will very likely never be seen by us again. Hate is too strong of an emotion for every day use. But, for the most part, I agree with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment